Pages

Friday, May 8, 2015

In Defense of Mankind

Visiting the Met in New York last year, I was impressed with all the medieval armor. Or possibly rather obsessed.... I wanted to spend all my time there, admiring the workmanship and beauty of the various kinds of arms and armor. It really struck me how much talent and time and energy was devoted to war games. As far as I can tell, the main thing that has changed in contemporary times is not the intense devotion to this pursuit, but the drastic decrease in aesthetic concerns.

So this woodcut is my homage to the devotion of mankind to the pursuit of ever more effective tools of war. I am not sure where it will end, so I will end with a quite by Albert Einstein:

"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones."

In Defense of Mankind, woodcut, 20 x 16" image size

No comments:

Post a Comment